“To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.”-Oscar Wilde
· I completed my almost 17 year banking career on Friday. Currently, I have no house or job.
· What am I going to do? As I tell my mother, don’t worry about me. I will figure it out.
· There is not enough time in my life to do everything I would like. But I will try.
· I may not be able to walk when I’m 65. Why would I wait until then to live?
· What do you really want to do with your life? Are you doing it? Have you even thought about it?
· I would rather be an outsider than an insider.
· There is compromise, there is settling, and there is being someone you are not.
· I am keenly aware that many worthwhile things in life involve a “we”.
· If you hear an older person you respect say “I regret…”, pay attention.
· The primary 2 responses to this new adventure are “I wish I had the courage” and “How are you going to make money?”
· I basically completed the 2018 NYC Marathon on pure willpower.
· Did I change who I was? No. Did I discover who I was? Yes.
· I am a disrupter, but my heart is always in the right place.
· Leave your “yes men and women” now and again.
· If it’s not interesting, you’ve lost me.
· There is no better feeling than being real.
· I hope you haven’t gotten lost in my journey, instead energized to refocus on your own.
· Living is a daily art. Hourly even. Not a weekend thing.
· There was a time in Mexico City where I thought “this isn’t going well”.
· You have to start believing in yourself!
· abk isn’t about the answers. It’s about the questions.
· Facing my fears and owning my imperfections is what freed me, not quitting my job.
· Less talk. More doing.
· I completely unwound and re-wound my life in 671 days.
· If you find yourself saying “life gets in the way”, pause and try and fathom what you just said.
· I want to do something that no one has ever done before.
· I don’t want a 9-5 or picket fence or cul de sac or power or fancy title. I do need health insurance though.
· I need a new set of unknowns.
· Lots of this process was very uncomfortable. I felt like publicizing it could help someone. I hope it did.
· It turns out I do have emotions, which is good.
· Thank you to so, so many people!
· abk was a letter to myself, so if you were ever offended, good, but I wasn’t talking to you. Except that I was.
· You must own your life story. Reinvent yourself as many times as needed.
· When you do something against the grain, the most resistance often comes from those closest to you.
· I have 12 tattoos.
· I call this last 2 years The Great Awakening.
· Use your experiences to help someone. Want nothing in return.
· Becoming a parent rocked my world.
· Can you really live your dreams? We shall see.
· New life, new adventure.
Next chapter, coming soon. But for now, I need a nap. -Benj
Follow along on Instagram @anythingbutkhakis and now @abkgolf.
If you enjoy these and would like to get the weekly piece via email, please follow on the website http://www.anythingbutkhakis.com .
4 thoughts on “Finding True Freedom- Final Thoughts”
. I might just like this one better. . So many pearls. . I will be coming back to this often. . Thank you. . Good luck again. I know You don’t need it. . Speak to you soon old friend
On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 8:51 PM anything but khakis wrote:
> Benj B. posted: ““To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong > romance.”-Oscar Wilde · I completed my almost 17 year banking career > on Friday. Currently, I have no house or job. · What am I going to > do? As I tell my mother, don’t worry about me. I will ” >
LikeLiked by 1 person
🙏, thanks pal! Speak soon!
Really good one, Benj. I admire you and your words. I wish all younger people could/would read this and understand what you are actually saying about life.. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. jan
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks for the kind words Jan!